Urban Folktales Flash Fiction Friday. - Cue: root, fruit, truth, youth, brute

He was a brute. He was exactly the kind that I liked too: big and black and brooding, 6 foot 2 or 3 inches, probably 200 pounds. He spent his days working construction on the big building that was going up at the end of the block street. At least that’s where I saw him on my way to and from school every day.    When I first saw him I couldn’t even look at him without hanging my head and looking down at the ground. I felt hot all over and would blush hard, hard, hard. I tell you I could have signed up to understudy Rudolph if only my skin was light enough for all that red to shine through. With each glance my chest would tighten and my breath would quicken. At the same time lower parts of me would feel like the sun was calling for it to show itself and my legs felt as If they could not possibly open wide enough.
A couple weeks in I saw him notice me. I would glance and glance and if I saw him see me I would look away quickly. He didn’t seem to care to tell you the truth. I was probably fourteen or just 15 and he was already 21 by then. He probably wondered why I was all up in his face. I wondered too. I couldn’t help myself. Seeing him was the highlight of my day. Not seeing him made me feel cheated, angry even sick. I told my cousin about it and she laughed at me.
“You have a crush fool!”
“How could I have a crush on someone that I’ve never met girl?”
“Fine thanks. It’s about time too, you always the slow one out of all of us.”

By the time I was 16 and getting ready for exams the building was basically up. They had all them little extra shit to do on the inside. You know the finishing that took so long it made you wonder if they’d ever actually finish? The time that had gone by was visible on us both. I’d still see him every day but it was different now. He’d be in place when I was passing and I’d be on time. His small twists were now small locks that hung just around collar length. He could put the top few up in one. I liked it like that. If he spent his day working construction his body said that he spent his nights in the gym because he was huge. I liked that too. A BBU my cousin laughed to me one day.
“BBU?”
“Big Black and ugly.”
 I laughed back. He wasn’t ugly to me though. Now when I walked past I’d stare directly at him. Face blank eyes locked in and I’d keep it like that until it was time for me to turn the corner. He’d stop whatever he was doing to stare back usually smiling. Teeth white against his dark gums. I’d only ever realize that I was holding my breath once I was around the corner.
“Smile nah!”
 I’d have to stop for a few seconds to compose myself.
Exams came to an end and school would soon be out. The building was almost done. They’d started to clean up the site and figure out shit like landscaping. I’m not sure when but between his smile and my cousin always in my ear, a seed had taken root inside of me and I knew I had to move before I lost him to the next construction site. I didn’t really have a reason to be at school every day but I made it my business to pass just to see him. I’d pass by going to school only to return a couple hours later on the way home. There he was as always smiling. This time just before the corner I stopped and stood face blank, eyes locked in. It took him about a minute to start to move toward me. It was slow jog, nonchalant, backed by the calls and whistles of the other work men who’d been observing us from day one. He was beautiful, more so up-close.
“You leaving work half day tomorrow?”
“Leaving work?”
“Half day tomorrow all around now?”
He smiled bigger and licked his lips.
“Yes, I guess so. Yes”
“Good.”
I walked away.

Half day the next day I didn’t see him. I searched the yard. I was confused, embarrassed. The catcalling workmen didn’t help. I turned the corner my eyes just filling with tears and walked right into him. Standing there smiling. I almost screamed. My face probably registered 6 emotions at once and then I blushed instead; hard.
“You ok? How you blushin so?”
I took a deep breath and tried to regain my composure. It was so difficult that instead I handed him my small backpack and walked ahead of him in the direction of my house.
Say what you will about youth but I knew exactly what I wanted. I was determined. After almost two years of tending I was finally going to reap some fruit.
Our eyes were locked in when he sank the first finger into me. My eyes wide, my lips parted, my nipples hard, my chest heaving with every gain he made. His eyes narrow, dark, focused. His other hand slid up my side and into position around my throat. His thumb guided my head from just behind my earlobe pulling me in for a firm kiss; my first kiss, the first of many.


Life - It ain't easy but it sweet!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Makeup Talk - Excerpt from makeup article for online magazine.

Excerpt from short story 'Good Dining'